Applications are invited from Hungarian citizens for the position of American Corner Director in Debrecen, located in the Méliusz Juhász Péter County Library. You can apply until the 21st of January.
The fundamental function of the American Corners (AC) in Hungary is to provide information and insight about U.S. culture and civilization for Hungarian audiences through local programming to schools, universities, and the general public. They provide access to current and reliable information about the U.S. via print, video, and online collections and through social media platforms. The AC Debrecen is one of five American Corners throughout Hungary and operates in cooperation with the other Corners (Budapest, Szeged, Pécs, Veszprém).
The Director is employed by the Méliusz Juhász Péter County Library but also reports to the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Budapest. The Director is responsible for long-term budget and strategic planning and the day-to-day management of the Corner’s wide range of programs and activities.
- organizing and administering innovative in-person and virtual programs with local and visiting speakers and significant contacts
- providing information to visitors on USA-related questions
- operating an English language library
- keeping contact with partner institutions
- promoting and representing the institution and American values at outreach events throughout the region
- participating in professional training programs and conferences
- managing the American Corner Facebook page and other social media platforms
- provide elementary information to students on U.S. study opportunities
- raise the overall profile of U.S. education opportunities with Hungarian audiences
- Evening and weekend work are to be performed as programming necessitates.
- A university degree
- Thorough understanding of Hungarian and U.S. society, culture, and educational systems
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including public speaking
- Fluency in English and Hungarian
- Strong network-building skills
- Experience in program organization
- Good working knowledge of social media platforms
- good problem-solving skills
- ability to work on own initiative
- an eye for detail
- able to handle competing priorities and multi-task
- ability to react to last-minute requests
- client-focused attitude
- strong work ethic
HUF 450,000 per month
A letter of application in English accompanied by a CV should be sent to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the 21st of January. Questions about the position should be submitted to the email addresses above.